Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Ferret Hamock Using Items Around the House

Like I mentioned the other day, we had a pair of ferrets given to us; cage and all. They already had one hanging thing (it looked like a stuffed pirate ship or ark). My brother bought them another hammock.

The problem I have is that I really only get a chance to wash them once a week, and just washing them doesn't really cut it. They need to be soaked to get all of the smell out of them. So, I decided to make a few more so that I can change them every other day or so and soak the dirty ones until wash day. Buying them--since I want at least six altogether--can get expensive at $8 each.

I dug out some denim fabric I had, then went in search of some scraps for a contrasting color. Then I ran into the dilemma of the straps. I probably could have used ribbon if I had some that was narrow but ribbed, but I didn't. Then I found two things that could probably work. Shoelaces and head bands.

I used shoelaces for the first one I made. I took one pair that were approximately 45" each and cut them in half. That covers all four corners.

Then I cut the two fabrics (denim and contrasting fabric) into squares approximately 15" x 15".

I then placed them right sides together.

Next, I pinned the shoelaces into the corners between the two layers of fabric. To keep the shoelaces from accidentally sewn into the outside seam, I taped them to the center of the fabric.

Of course, somehow, I forgot to take a pic of the tape step.

Anyhow, I then sewed the outer edge of the square, approximately 1/4" from the edge. I left a hole on one side so I could turn it right side out.

Boy, looking at my pics, I realize--a little too late-- that I missed a lot of steps.

After turning it right side out, I sewed up the hole I left.

Then I tied the ends of the shoelaces into a loop, trying to get them all about the same length. I then slipped a D-ring into each loop and hung it in the cage.

I hadn't even finished hanging it up and they were trying to get into it. I guess it's now ferret approved!

I promise to take more pics with the next one I plan to try, using headbands. That one will be bouncy. I'm not sure if that will make it more fun for the ferrets or if it will hinder them getting in and out of it. But, I'm going to give it a try.

The only thing I bought for this project was the D-clips. I got them at Walmart for $0.97 a pair. Since I'm using the loops, I don't need a set of D-clips for each hammock, I only need enough clips to hang two hammocks in the cage.

No comments:

Post a Comment