Monday, October 20, 2014

My Computer is Alive Again!

I finally ordered and replaced the hard drive in my laptop. It feels so good to have my own computer again! I didn't realize how much I depended on it until I had to share.

I forgot to take pics of the process...you really don't want to see the mess I created anyway.

I had a few troubles during the process: screws that didn't want to come out, screws that I missed so other stuff wouldn't come out, and leftover screws after I had put it back together. After loading Windows 7 back on to my computer it wouldn't go online. It wouldn't use WiFi nor would it use a networking cable. I messed with it and messed with it...I wasn't happy. I finally took it back apart to make sure everything was hooked up (which it was), and in the process of putting it back together I found where the missing screws went.

After all of that it still wouldn't go online. I had the drivers and utilities CD for it and tried installing drivers and they wouldn't install until Bob said, "what are those ones with the check mark next to them?" I thought the check mark meant that the drivers were already installed; it didn't. It meant that I had that hardware and those were the drivers I needed to install. Bob sat with my computer and babysat while it installed the needed drivers. I was past frustration at that point and needed to walk away.

I had a million updates to install, but it's working great again! It starts up faster than it did before (which was a sign of a failing hard drive; who knew?!).

So, anyway, I'm back in business and working on some things you'll read about in future posts.

Let me say that if it wasn't for YouTube, I'd have been spending $500 on a new computer and having to wait until we had the money to buy one. I'm very happy I decided to try this!

 

Important links that helped a LOT:

Lost Windows 7 Install Disc? Create a New One From Scratch

Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (Necessary to burn the installation DVD properly)

Inspiron N4110 Hard Drive Removal Video

DIY- How to Remove the Hard Drive from a Dell Inspiron N4110

 

UPDATE 10/20/14:

My computer started telling me that my version of Windows 7 was not valid...I tried all kinds of things to get it to work. I finally had to call Microsoft and use their automated system to confirm my product key. I had to do it twice in order for it to go through. I hope this is the last of the glitches!

2 comments:

  1. YAY!!!! SO glad it all worked!!! WOOO HOOO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, I'm very glad as well! I don't have to buy a new computer!

    ReplyDelete