Thursday, December 19, 2013

Ferret Hammock Take II

*NOTE* After 24 hours of this hanging in my ferrets' cage, I have found that the shoelaces method is much better. My male ferret is a big guy and it stretches way down when he gets into it. It was a good thought, but didn't work well. This post still has more pics as far as the making of the hammock is concerned.

Yesterday I posted a semi-tutorial on making a ferret hammock using fabric, D-clips, and shoelaces.

Today I'll make one using fabric, D-clips, and thin elastic headbands.

Supplies:
  • 2 pieces of fabric approximately 15" x 15" each. I used denim and old flannel.
  • 4 elastic headbands. I am pretty sure I got mine from the Dollar Tree a long time ago. I want to say it was a 5-pack, but I can't be sure.
  • 4 small D-clips (I got mine from Walmart for $0.97/pair)
  • Sewing machine and thread
  • Tape
Step 1: if you haven't already done so, cut your fabrics down into pieces about 15" x 15", or however big you want the hammock to be.

Step 2: with one piece of fabric laying face up, pin the headbands into the corners. Avoid getting the metal pieces into the corners. Then tape the headbands to the center to keep them in place.


Step 3: put your second piece of fabric on top, laying right side down and then pin into place.


Step 4: Sew around the outside edge, approximately 1/4" from the edge. Leave a hole big enough to get your hand through for turning it right side out. Also, pay close attention to the corners. I went over the corners multiple times to hold the elastic bands into place.


Step 5: Turn right side out and sew the edge where you left a hole.


Step 7: add D-clips and hang in cage.


The drawback to this is that you have no control over how low the hammock hangs. With the shoelace method I posted yesterday, you can still shorten the shoelaces or lengthen them to adjust the length.

It's not perfect, but it will do the job.

I'm trying to think of a way to make these no-sew...

No comments:

Post a Comment