Monday, March 13, 2017

Blog With Friends: March 2017 Green Graduation Cake

Welcome to Blog With Friends March 2017 "Green" Edition!!



Last month Clone of Bob passed his High School Equivalency Exam and we decided to have a small party for him. It's hard to do a graduation party this time of year because it just isn't the season for it. DH and I didn't even find a graduation card!

Clone of Bob isn't big on cake. He'll eat a cupcake every now and then, but not regular cake, so I decided to make him an ice cream cake in his favorite color shaped like a graduation cap. 


I found that making an ice cream cake isn't that difficult, but it can get expensive. The items I purchased to make this thing.


  • 1/2 gallon vanilla ice cream
  • 1/2 gallon chocolate ice cream
  • 5 Reese's cups
  • 1 Large Kit Kat bar
  • 1 Oreo Cookie crust, or crushed oreo cookies.
  • Ingredients for Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping 
    • 1/3 C water
    • 1/3 C sugar
    • 2/3 C peanut butter
  • Ingredient for Dream Whip Frosting
  • Hot fudge

I made the vanilla layer first:



  1. Scoop about 4 scoops of ice cream into a bowl and then using my mixer to blend it to the consistency of frosting.
  2. Line a round 8" cake pan with plastic wrap, leaving extra hanging over the edge. 
  3. Spread the ice cream into the bottom of the pan.
  4. Add your choice of stuff: I layered 1/2 of the crushed cookies, broken Kit Kat Bars, and hot fudge over top. 
  5. Scoop more ice cream into the mixing bowl and blend as before. 
  6. Spread over top, cover with plastic wrap and get it into the freezer.
I made the chocolate layer the same as above, except:
  • I used a 9" square pan
  • I put a layer of Peanut butter Ice Cream Sauce, broken Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, and the other half crushed cookies in the middle.


Peanut Butter Sauce Directions:
  • Mix together water and sugar in a saucepan. Bring to a boil and boil for one minute. Remove from heat and add peanut butter. Stir until smooth.


I froze both pans overnight before moving on to frosting the cake.


  • I removed the round cake from the pan, using the plastic wrap, and flipped it onto a cake pan.
  • Then I put the square cake on top using the same method. 
  • I made the frosting linked above and added green food coloring. 
  • I learned that you have to work fast and keep putting it back into the freezer. The frosting actually smoothed out better when it was frozen.
  • I drew the tassel and lettering on with a gel frosting.
  • It will last for a week in the freezer, but would probably be better if eaten sooner.
It was so good that I forgot to take a pic of it after it was sliced into!


Now for our other projects!

Karen at Baking in a Tornado made Green, Egg, and HamA fun breakfast for St. Patrick’s Day or any day.


Lydia at Cluttered Genius gives us ideas on what to do with all those old crayons.


Melissa at My Heartfelt Sentiments made a DIY- A Nugget of Fun! Handmade gifts are best when filled with chocolate! This cute box and greeting card make for fun gifts during the holidays, for end-of-the-year teacher gifts, or any other special occasion.


Kia at Think in English tells us what Green really means in English.



Kristin Novotny at Little Mama Jama made Mint Mocha Cupcakes using a simple recipe.



Tamara at Confessions of a Part-Time Working Mom made a Leprechaun Craft: Tutorial on how to make a bunch of cute little leprechauns using toilet paper rolls

Dawn at Spatulas on Parade made Green Bunny Poop?!?!


Rabia at the Lieber Family shows you 10 ways to add more Green to your Pot of Gold


4 comments:

  1. YUM! Ice cream cake is a favorite around here, as well.

    And every time I see, "Clone of Bob," I giggle. LOVE IT. Congrats to Clone of Bob on his graduation!

    ReplyDelete

  2. Congratulations to Clone of Bob! Can't wait to make this ice cream cake this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on successful exams, Clone of Bob!
    That is some rich ice cream cake you made! I'm sure everybody loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! I remember thinking graduation was no big deal when I graduated but looking back on it, it really was a big deal. I have never made an ice cream cake before but I am inspired to try.

    ReplyDelete