Monday, August 8, 2016

Blog With Friends-School Color Cookies


Wow, it's been a while since I participated in a BWF group post! It's nice to be back!

Since we homeschool, we choose our own school colors. Boo love turquoise and teal and Clone of Bob has always loved green.

I made cookies a while back using sugar cookie mix, black cherry Kool-Aid and cherry chips. They were so good! So I decided to see what other flavor combinations I could come up with using Kool-Aid to flavor the cookies.

For this one, since we're talking about school spirit, I've decided that our school colors are teal and green, As a matter of fact, even thought the kids aren't going to have a traditional graduation ceremony, they should still get a tassel. I can order them online in any color combination that I want to, so they will be green/teal with the year they graduate on them (2017 & 2018).

I made these cookies two ways and I much prefer the second method, but I'll walk you through both and let you decide.

The first method involved rolling out the dough, stacking the two flavors and rolling them together, and then slicing and baking them. It turned out nice, but with the colors I used, it didn't give me the swirl pattern I was hoping for.

The second method was just taking some of each color/flavor and rolling them together by hand into a ball, flattening, and baking. The second was much easier and faster.

Ingredients:
  • Two packages of sugar cookie mix (any brand)
  • 2 eggs and two sticks of butter/margarine for the cookie mix
  • Two different flavors/colors of Kool-Aid dry mix. 
Directions:

You will make two separate dough mixes. Repeat step 1 for each. Continue with the rest of the steps for the first method of baking.
  1. Mix egg, butter, and Kool-Aid in a bowl with a mixer. Slowly mix in cookie mix.  

FOR THE FIRST COOKIE METHOD:
    1. Add 1 Tbsp. flour to thicken a little bit for rolling (do this during mixing).
    2. Cut in half, wrap in plastic wrap and place in freezer for about 30 minutes. Mix the second batch and do the same.
    3. Roll each dough ball separately. (I roll my dough between two pieces of wax paper. It is so much cleaner than using flour and my rolling pin doesn't get dirty.)
    4. Stack one on top of the other and then roll them together. Wrap with wax paper or plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for about an hour.
    5. Carefully slice, each slice about 1/4" thick. 
    6. Place on baking pan and bake approximately 9-10 minutes. Allow to cool on pan for about 2 minutes and then remove to a cooling rack, paper towels, or paper bags, whatever you prefer.



FOR THE SECOND COOKIE METHOD
    1. Take a small piece from each type of dough and roll them together (you want your balls to be about 1 inch in diameter). Place on cookie sheet in a position where you will see both colors and then flatten with the back of a spoon or your fingers. 
    2. Bake for 9-10 minutes. Allow to cool for about 2 minutes before removing to your choice of final cooling spot. 

Makes approximately 72 cookies.

What I love about this is that there are so many flavor and color combinations you could go with. If one of your school colors is white, just skip adding Kool-Aid to one of the batches of cookies. If they're black, well, you might have to get creative there.

Now for the other posts!

Karen at Baking in a Tornado made School Spirit Mini Cupcakes: Mini cupcakes you can make in your school colors. Perfect for back to school treats, parties, bake sales. Yum!


Minette at Southern Belle Charm made and easy School Color Bracelet. I love the color on this one!


Melissa at Home on Deranged gives us tips on How to Choose the Right Elementary School.


Dawn at Spatulas on Parade gives us Crazy Hat Days and More. Looks fun!


The Lieber Family gives us a neat way to Organize Your Desk with School Spirit.


Lydia at Cluttered Genius gives us 9 Tips for Chaos Control Before School Starts. Even homeschoolers can use this...maybe especially homeschoolers.


2 comments:

  1. I love how easy the second version is, I think I'd go with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the two options! I could see if your colors were exceptionally contrasting that it would work! But yes, 2nd method turned out well! :)

    ReplyDelete